Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Where did Peter come from?

M&M Has come up with SOME very good questions (we are going to get her to learn how to count real soon)

Now I'm going to start handling these multiple questions a little differently.
I will put just one question up then answer it. Then go to the next.
(I think it was getting to hard for her to keep up)
So here we go!

Q:1 Why do we say Petered out?

A: 1 Because that is what your Mum and Dad would say, and you picked it up from them.
(Yes she really couldn't figure that one out)

Q:2 Was Peter someone who just kept fading away?.

I'm glad that when this question came to her she turned to me! with my vast knowledge of all things for the answer.

A:2 The saying as far back as my research goes came from a man named Peter Paisley.
He was a street sweeper by trade in a small un-named town in the UK. He actually gave us 2 phrases. (I being the nice guy I am will show you both)
The one in question "Petered out" came from the fact that while Peter would be working he would fall asleep leaning on his broom. The town folk soon started saying any time that some one was tired that they were "Petered out". Now as for the second phrase, We all know that when you wake up from your sleep the first thing you do is go to the bathroom. And peter was no different than you and I. But since they had already given the name "Peter" to being tired, They had to call this something else. So now when we need to go to the bathroom after being all "Petered out" we say I have to go "P.P.". The un-named towns people seen that this man Peter Paisley was going to make them famous so in turn they named this town Paisley.

M&M Of all people I thought that you would of known this one. (now where in the UK is it you live ?)

I hope that this clears it up for you.

No comments: